Following voter approval in May, 2013 for the issue of $135 million in bonds, the St. Tammany Parish School Board issued the first draw of these bonds in the amount of $20 million for school construction and upgrades for technology and security. If sale of the bonds goes as planned, work and improvements could begin as early as Fall, 2013.
The entire amount of the approved $135 million is meant to help schools throughout St. Tammany Parish with technology upgrades as well as maintenance, construction, and repairs to existing buildings and structures on campuses of all shapes and sizes. Below are specific projects that have been earmarked to receive funding:
- New classrooms to replace modular units at Fontainebleau Junior High, Lyon Elementary, Madisonville Elementary, Mandeville Elementary, Pontchartrain Elementary and Tchefuncte Middle ($46 million)
- System-wide technology and security upgrades, including computers and network upgrades necessary to meet state requirements for testing ($20 million)
- Infrastructure repairs, such as water pipes and fire sprinklers, at Bonne Ecole Elementary, Boyet Junior/Little Oak Middle, Covington High and Slidell Junior High ($16.5 million)
Another $52.5 million would be used on renovations at nine campuses:
- Abney Elementary: $6.7 million for cafeteria/auditorium and other renovation.
- Carolyn Park Middle: $4.1 million to renovate the cafeteria, library and gym.
- Chahta-Ima Elementary: $1.8 million for a new administration building and entrance.
- Clearwood Junior High: $8.5 million for new classrooms, floors and ceilings and a sprinkler system.
- Fontainebleau High: $2.6 million for masonry and roof work and exterior painting.
- Mandeville Junior High: $3 million to replace windows, flooring and doors.
- Northshore High: $5 million to replace floors and ceilings and renovate a consumer science classroom.
- Pearl River High: $14 million for renovations to classrooms, cafeteria, band hall and physical education dressing rooms.
- Slidell High: $6.7 million for new classrooms and renovations to the cafeteria and physical education dressing rooms.
This is good news for parents considering buying a new home for sale at Bedico Creek Preserve as Madisonville Elementary will be replacing their modular units with actual classrooms using the money provided by the bonds sale. St. Tammany Parish has one of the best school systems in Southeast Louisiana. Also, the Madisonville School District also is known as one of the best school districts in St. Tammany Parish. Improvements to schools throughout the district will only improve the level of excellence to these schools throughout the Parish. To find out more about purchasing a home at a subdivision located in the Madisonville School District, Call 985-845-4200 or E-mail Info@LiveBedico.com.